Friday, April 6, 2012

Cadbury Caramel Egg review

Easter is just around the corner and the reviews just keep on coming. Today it's time to take a look at the Cadbury Caramel Egg.


I'm a fan of the packaging here, the gold foil pops on the egg, I like the tulip accents. Its all very spring, very Easter, and generally just makes me happy. Like with the Chocolate Creme egg there isn't much room on the package for anything other than the logo and ingredients, but they did well with what they've got. Keeping with the creme egg tradition this egg is as eye catching as possible.

As with the Chocolate egg when you open up the Caramel egg there's a nice smell of milk chocolate. The slightly tacky milk chocolate shell is about what you'd expect for a creme egg, and as I mentioned before I like the simple design work etched into the side of the chocolate.



What I don't like though is the leaking caramel out of the seam! That is really unattractive, and although it may be an issue with the heat here, or in the store, I can't help but fault them for it. Whatever they're using to seal these eggs up with needs to be stronger. Based on past experience I have to say this is a problem most seen in caramel treats, and Caramel eggs especially. Is it something about the viscosity of caramel? the way it oozes? I'm a little confused, but whatever the reason its pretty gross, and although I'll still eat this egg, I'm not happy with the leakage, especially because this ensures that I'll have to wash my hands thoroughly afterwards.



Getting past the leak though and biting into the egg is a treat. As I mentioned in my chocolate creme egg review the milk chocolate shell is very good. Thick and strongly flavored; all around its one of my favorites. But you're here for the caramel; that's the star of the show. The egg is full of caramel, a pleasant surprise considering sometimes the regular creme eggs in particular are only around 80% full. It doesn't excuse the leakage, but at least it might help explain it. As for the taste, I'm impressed. The caramel is soft and smooth. here's a pull to it, but its not at all sticky or overly chewy. This is one of my favorite kinds of caramel. It's got a soft quality and a real richness in flavor. It doesn't quite melt in your mouth, but it is a very enjoyable taste. It also mixes pretty well with the chocolate shell, and although the caramel overpowers the shell when you can taste both the milk chocolate and caramel in a mouthful it definitely works well. If you are a caramel fan this is one to check out.


Walking the Candy Aisle rates the Cadbury Caramel Egg - 4 / 5

Cadbury is owned by Kraft Foods, and creme eggs are distributed in the US through The Hershey Company. For more from Cadbury check out them out here, our "Like" Creme Eggs on their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment